If you’re in need of new countertops for any part of your home, and especially if you’ve never gone through this selection process before, you could be wondering where to start. Certain parts of the countertop world or their related terminology may seem foreign to you, and you may need a bit of guide in terms of how to proceed.
At Creative Granite & Design, we’re happy to serve that role for many of our clients throughout Salt Lake City and other parts of Utah, with a huge selection of countertops — granite countertops, marble countertops and many more. We help guide our clients through the entire selection process from start to finish, ensuring they get the best possible setup for their needs and budget. In this two-part blog series, we’ll go over the basic important elements of any new countertop shopping and selection process.
Arranging Basic Project Setup and Detail
As you’re just getting started here, one of your initial goals should be to establish some of the key details and parameters for your project. This includes factors such as the square footage of the countertop area you want or need, what type of cabinetry or other setup you’ll be working with and what sort of budget you’re hoping to stay within.
These are key decisions that will help guide the rest of your process, so it’s important to get them figured out as early on as possible. In some cases, homeowners have a good idea of these factors from the start. Others may need to do a bit more research, such as measuring out their countertop area or browsing pictures online for inspiration.
Narrowing in On Countertop Material
Once you have a general ideal of your project scope and parameters, your next step is to start narrowing in on countertop materials. This is where you’ll need to do a bit more research and learning, as there are all sorts of countertop options out there on the market these days, each with its own set of pros and cons:
- Granite countertops: One of the most popular countertop types today, granite offers a classic look and feel along with good durability. It can come in many different colors and patterns.
- Quartz countertops: Engineered from natural quartz crystals, these countertops offer good durability and require little maintenance. They’re available in a wide variety of colors and designs.
- Marble countertops: A luxurious option, marble has been used in high-end homes for centuries. It offers a unique look and feel, though it’s important to note that marble is a softer stone and thus can require more care.
- Quartzite countertops: A natural stone option that’s becoming increasingly popular, quartzite looks similar to marble but is actually more durable.
- Solid surface countertops: Often made of acrylic, solid surface countertops are available in many colors and designs. They’re durable and easy to care for.
In part two of our series, we’ll go over some other important areas here, or to learn about any of our granite or other stone countertops and the services we offer SLC clients, speak to the team at Creative Granite & Design today.